Wednesday 12 June 2013

Rose Elizabeth BIRD 1892-1896

For a long time Rose was just a namesake.

My mother Edna Rose O'MALLEY, had been told she was named for a young sister of her mother who had died... that was it! Mum had never asked any further questions and no other information was given, in fact it was only mentioned to me in passing and by chance one day.

My nana Beatrice BIRD, was the youngest of the two surviving sisters, Doris was the other. It was not known if Rose was older or younger, or whether she had died before or after the family emigrated from England to New Zealand.

Occasionally lady luck gives us a break, or maybe it is our ancestors helping hand... but late 2009 I had managed to reconnect with Lorraine THACKWELL, the daughter of Doris, with whom we had lost contact fifty years earlier. Unfortunately she knew nothing of or about our Rose but a few months later the renewed contact and talk of our family history set her amongst some bits and pieces given to her fifteen years earlier by her sister-in-law after her older brothers passing.
 
THERE IT WAS! a memorial card for Rose.
 
 


This information was timely as I had arranged a trip to England to visit significant ancestral sites and I was due to leave in less than a month.

On 10th September 2010 I was able to take a bunch of flower, sit, and spend some time with our elusive Rose Elizabeth.

Sadly site K-61-F is an unmarked grave, however upon my entry into Dronfield Cemetery two cute little squirrels were playing 'catch me if you can' as they scurried up, down, and around a beautiful old oak tree just along from Roses final resting place setting a playful and tranquil child friendly scene.

                                      this photo taken very close to where Rose's plot is situated

When I arrived home I sent for Roses death certificate. She had died at home, 7 Hartington Road, Dronfield, North East Derbyshire, of Pertussis (whooping cough), Acute Bronchitis, and Pneumonia. Less than 3/4 mile from her final resting place.

Rest in Peace Sweetheart... you are no longer lost and will never be forgotten... two of my own grand-daughters are named Sophie Rose and Lilly Rose.   




1 comment: