Eileen Marianne SHERIDAN was born on 25 Feb 1864 in Dublin, IRELAND (place to be confirmed) as the second child of Terence SHERIDAN and Mary Anne MANNING.
Oral history says that she was born at the Dublin Police Barracks. Correspondence with Cath O'Neil confirms that this is a possibility although to date no record has been found to substantiate the claim.
Her father was a policeman/sergeant with the Royal Irish Constabulary.
She had thirteen siblings, namely:
Mary Anne, born 02 Feb 1863 in County Meath (to be confirmed) and died 2 April 1864 at Kilronan, Aran Isles.
Winifred Maria, born 01 July 1865 on Inishmor, Aran Isles. Died 13 October 1945 at Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand.
James William, born 28 March 1867, Dingle, Co Kerry.
Maryanne, born 05 May 1869, Castlegregory, Co Kerry. Died 24 Jan 1895 at Timaru, NZ.
Patrick, born Castlegregory, 28 Feb 1871.
Bridget, born Co Kerry, 27 Aug 1872. died at Dingle 1873.
Catharine, born Castlegregory 25 Dec 1873.
Terence, born 05 Jan 1876 at Co Kerry, emigrated to Massachutettes, USA.
Bridget, born Co Kerry 17 Oct 1877.
Andrew, born at Shievadieher, Co Kerry 08 Aug 1879.
Thomas, born 11 Feb 1881at Cloghane.
Gerald, born 27 Oct 1882 at Beherbee.
Peter born 04 Oct 1885 at Cloghane.
When the tender age of only 15 1/2 years (aged 18 years as per documentation) Eileen aka Ellen emigrated to New Zealand aboard the 'Lady Jocelyn' which departed London 29 August 1879 and arrived at Lyttleton on 08 December 1879 (as per Canterbury Museum Research Centre records). She was registered as a housemaid from Co Kerry.
It would appear she travelled alone although she was joined later by her two sisters Winifred and Maryanne with whom she had a close relationship in this foreign country.
When she was 22, She married Patrick O'Malley, son of Michael O'MALLEY and Margaret FLANNAGAN, on 23 Nov 1886 in Blessed Sacrament, Phillipstown, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Patrick O'Malley and Eileen Marianne SHERIDAN had the following children:
- John Francis O'MALLEY was born on 17 Feb 1888 in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand. He died date Unknown. he married Isabella ARCHIBALD.
- Patrick William O'MALLEY was born on 11 May 1890 in New Zealand. He died in 1974 in New Zealand. He married Alice ?
- James Joseph O'MALLEY was born on 12 Jan 1892 in Christchurch, New Zealand . He died on 07 Jul 1942 in Christchurch, New Zealand. He married Ethel Esther MALZARD\MILSWOOD.
- Peter Charles O'MALLEY was born on 07 Oct 1893 in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand. He died in 1894 in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Mary Anne O'MALLEY was born on 25 Dec 1894 in New Zealand. She died on 12 Dec 1979. She married Frederick BENNETT.
- Eileen Margaret O'MALLEY was born on 25 Oct 1896 in Christchurch, New Zealand. She died on 14 Nov 1972 in Christchurch, New Zealand. She married Martin MULLAY.
- Leo Charles O'MALLEY was born on 26 Jun 1901 in Christchurch, New Zealand. He died on 15 Jan 1959 in Christchurch, New Zealand. He married Doris Mabel BROCKER.
- Thomas Augustine O'MALLEY was born on 15 Feb 1903 in Christchurch, New Zealand. He died on 20 Jan 1973 in Christchurch, New Zealand at his daughters home, 61 Shortland St, Wainoni. He married Beatrice BIRD.
- Ambrose O'MALLEY was born on 15 Nov 1905. He died on 14 Oct 1990. Unmarried.
Places of residence included:
1896-1900:She lived in 87 Barbadoes St, Christchurch, New Zealand.
1911 She lived in 18 Essex St, Linwood, Christchurch, New Zealand
1919 She lived in 38 Southwark St, Christchurch East, New Zealand
1928 She lived in 36 Burke St, Christchurch South, New Zealand
To date very little else is known of her.
She died aged 66 years on 19 Sep 1930, at 82 Fitzgerald Ave, Christchurch, New Zealand. of cerebral thrombosis and myocardial degeneration.